The HeartSaver AED Course will equip you with the skills necessary to respond to a victim of sudden cardiac arrest. The course is video-based and recognised by the Irish Heart Foundation and the American Heart Association. The HeartSaver AED Course teaches skills with the American Heart Association’s research-proven Practice-While-Watching technique.
This training technique allows instructors to observe the learners, provide feedback, and guide them on the skills they have acquired. By the end of the course, the learner will have completed numerous cycles of CPR while using an AED.
The Heartsaver AED Course is designed this way so that the learner can feel more comfortable and confident if ever asked to carry out the skills in real life. Phoenix STS is registered with the Irish Heart Foundation as an approved training site.
If you have any injuries or medical issues that you may be concerned about, please discuss them with the course coordinator before attending the course, as you will be required to complete all elements, including the practical skills assessments, to receive a course completion card.
- The aim of the course is to provide the learner with the relevant knowledge and skills to deliver life-saving techniques in an emergency related to sudden cardiac arrest
- Course Objectives
- To understand the principles of CPR
- To effectively deliver a two-minute cycle of CPR
- To safely and effectively use an AED
- To assist with a person who is choking
Who Should Attend This Course?
- People who want to learn CPR and AED but who may need the skills through employment or volunteering roles which they may partake. e.g. sports coaches, teachers and parents
- The course is also suitable for healthcare staff such as nurses and healthcare assistants working in residential care settings
- English is the language in which training is delivered and learners must have fluency in English
- Learners should be physically fit to carry out chest compressions on a mannequin when kneeling
- Please let us know if learners have any specific learner requirements
- Adult Chest Compressions
- Adult Breaths
- Adult Pocket Face Mask and other barriers
- Adult Defibrillation
- Adult Practice
- Child CPR/AED Full
- Infant CPR/AED Full
- Adult Choking
- Child Choking
- Infant Choking
All our tutors hold a minimum QQI Level 8 in their subject matter, a Train the Trainer QQI Level 6 or higher and experienced CPR and AED instructors
The course is facilitated by an instructor who will guide you through the course with an interactive DVD that allows you to Practice-While-Watching or with blended learning
- During the course learners will be continually assessed by the instructor. In the final assessment, learners will be presented with a complete CPR & AED scenario which they must respond to. The learner must complete all necessary steps to complete the course successfully
- Upon successfully completing the Heartsaver AED Course, learners will receive an Irish Heart Foundation/American Heart Association Certification (Recognised Internationally)
- The certificate will be valid for two (2) years
- Maximum Number of Learners
- As the Heartsaver AED Course is predominantly skill-based, it is limited to 6 learners
With a maximum of 6 learners, the course duration is approximately 3 to 4 hours