Disability Access Certificate Applications

A Disability Access Certificate is a certificate granted by a Building Control Authority which certifies compliance of the design of certain works (e.g. new buildings, except dwelling houses).

Some extensions to, and some material alterations to buildings (except dwelling houses) with the requirements of Part M of the Building Control Regulations. A Disability Access Certificate is required in respect of the following works to buildings other than dwellings (but including apartment buildings), in so far as the requirements of Part M apply and which commence or take place on or after 1st January 2010. Where a Fire Safety Certificate is required for any works, a Disability Access Certificate is also required. It is best practice to apply for your Disability Access Certificate at the same time you are applying for your Fire Safety Certificate.

A Disability Access Certificate is required prior to the occupation of a building;

  • A Disability Access Certificate will certify compliance at Design Stage with the requirements of Technical Guidance Document M.
  • A Disability Access Certificate is mandatory whenever a Fire Safety Certificate application is made under the Building Control Regulations.
  • The Disability Access Certificate and Fire Safety Certificate drawings should be prepared in tandem to ensure that both applications are consistent.


The application form is to be signed by the owner or leaseholder. The Council will accept an application form signed by an agent on behalf of the owner /leaseholder only if it is accompanied by a letter from the owner /leaseholder giving their permission for the agent to sign on their behalf. The letter from the owner /leaseholder must be signed in original ink, must be dated with a recent date and include the name of the owner/leaseholder in printed form, the address of the property, and the name of the agent, which must be identical to the signatory of the form. The letter should state the named agent has the power to act for the owner/leaseholder in the matter of the application.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email